Monday, July 20, 2009

Gazpacho Two Ways






I love to eat gazpacho in the summertime. Its so fresh and healthy, and brings back many fond memories of living and traveling in Spain over the years. I've recently been on a quest to create a perfect pot of gazpacho, and I think I finally nailed it. In addition to a traditional red gazpacho, I'm also including a recipe for a creamy white version. When I was a teenager I spent my summers with family friends in Andalucia. My dear friend and second mother, Mati, made a delicious white gazpacho called Ajo Blanco. She knew it was my favorite, and would prepare it for me often. Sadly, she passed away a few years ago. Although I'm sure my version below is nowhere near as tasty as Mati's was, I bet she would be proud of her American daughter's attempt at Ajo Blanco.


Traditional Red Gazpacho (serves 4)

Ingredients
1 cucumber
1 red bell pepper
4 plum tomatoes
1 red onion
2 minced garlic cloves
3 cups tomato juice
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
freshly ground black pepper

Roughly chop the cucumber, bell pepper, tomatoes, and onion. Process each vegetable in a food processor for a couple seconds. Be careful not to overprocess if you like your gazpacho chunky. Combine veggies in a large bowl and add the garlic, tomato juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Mix well and chill before serving. I like to leave mine in the refrigerator all day as it allows the flavors to develop.

White Gazpacho (serves 4)

Ingredients:
1/2 medium head cauliflower, cut into 1 inch florets
1/4 cup half and half
2 slices crustless bread
2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 large shallot, coarsely chopped
1 medium cucumber
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
kosher salt
sliced almonds for garnish

Cut the cucumber in half, peel one half and chop into small pieces. Boil a pot of salted water and cook the cauliflower for 8 minutes. Rinse well under cold water, then puree in a food processor. Meanwhile, in a blender combine 1 1/4 cups water, half and half, bread, garlic, vinegar, shallot, chopped cucumber, and olive oil. Add the cauliflower puree and blend until creamy. Season with salt and chill for at least 1 hour. Garnish with chopped almonds and peel of reserved cucumber.





1 comment:

  1. Gazpacho is my fav. Can' wait to try out your recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete