Sunday, July 5, 2009

Cheese Souffle


I've always been intimidated by the idea of baking a souffle. However, I recently decided it was time to face my demons. With a little coaching from my mom, I successfully baked my very first cheese souffle.

Ingredients:
6 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
1 cup milk
sea salt
fresh ground black pepper
a pinch of cayenne
1 sprig of thyme
4 eggs
4 ounces goat cheese

Melt 5 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan. Stir in the flour and cook for 2 minutes. Whisk the milk in, little by little. Season the bechamel with salt, pepper, cayenne, and thyme. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Separate the eggs and stir the yolks into the bechamel. Add the goat cheese. Stir and taste for salt. It should be a teensy bit too salty. Preheat the oven to 375. Butter a 1 quart souffle dish with 1 tablespoon butter. White the egg whites into moist firm peaks. Stir one third of the whites into the souffle base. Then gently fold the base into the rest of the egg whites. Pour the mixture into the buttered dish and bake for 35 minutes, or until puffed up and golden. Serve immediately, or you will see it deflate before your eyes!

2 comments:

  1. You are so cute! I made a blue cheese souffle once, it was just ok, but this one looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How rewarding are souffles!?! I love making them, be it savory or sweet. Try a spinach and ricotta one...or just dark chocolate. I feel as long as you know how to make the proper base (yolks, etc), you can combine anything with the egg whites to fold in at the end. This one looks so good!!!! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete